I LOVE this recipe and so does my husband, but I must admit it does taste different if you don’t use the more expensive bacon listed in the recipe. I used regular bacon and had to add some cajun spices to liven it up a bit, but still fabulous.
This is pretty easy to do and you can use quick or instant grits for this. I would just recommend adding some whole milk or half & half to make it nice and rich! Don’t skrimp on this one…
Creole Shrimp & Grits
2 cups stone ground grits
2 qts boiling water
2 tsp salt
1 stick melted butter
1/4 – 1/2 lb apple or maple cured bacon (cook medium, not real crisp, drain-reserve drippings)
1 – 1.5 lbs peeled shrimp
1 cup onions, finely chopped
1 cup celery, finely diced
1 can diced tomatoes w/ juice
black pepper, to taste
1. Cook bacon, save drippings.
2. Cook grits according to package directions, while you cook mixture below. Once done, stir in melted butter.
3. Saute shrimp in bacon drippings, remove from pan and put on plate (don’t put on paper towel). When they are “c” shaped they are done.
4. Add more bacon drippings to same pan (or butter) and saute onions and celery until translucent. Then add tomatoes and black pepper. Cook to heat.
5. Add shrimp and bacon to tomato mixture and heat.
6. Pour over hot grits.