*Scroll down to use print recipe feature and add to your Recipe Box.
The key to these cookies is in the amount of time you cook the sauce mixture. You have to cook it long enough to melt the sugar crystals, if not, instead of being creamy it will be more gritty and kind of dry tasting.
Also, make sure you have quick-cooking oats, versus old fashioned or instant. Using a different type of oats will change the consistency of the cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- In a large saucepan combine sugar and cocoa and mix thoroughly, then add milk, salt, and butter.
- Mix and bring to a full boil that can’t be stirred down for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add peanut butter and vanilla, stir until smooth.
- Add oatmeal and mix well.
- Let sit for about 5-10 minutes so oatmeal absorbs the sauce.
- Drop oatmeal mixture by spoonfuls onto waxed paper lined baking sheets.
- Let cool at room temperature. This makes about 20-30 cookies.