This salad is simple and you can substitute in any ingredient. I like to keep all the ingredients “green” to make it very earthy and fresh! I added fresh kiwis to this one, but you could add color like radishes to really make it a beautiful table piece.
This one is for you Mercedes!
- 1 head of lettuce, Boston, bibb, red or green leaf lettuces, coarsely chopped (approx. 5-6 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped (include celery heart leaves)
- 2-4 tablespoons chives, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cucumber, chopped (I like English cucumbers here)
- 1 avocado, peeled, cored and chopped (see my tutorial on how to prepare an avocado)
- 1/4 cup chives, minces
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons honey (or 1 1/2 teaspoon blue agave nectar)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine all ingredients and drizzle with Chive Vinaigrette.
- Toss to coat and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients except oil. Slowly add the oil, whisking vigorously, until the vinaigrette is emulsified (well blended).
- Vinaigrette will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. If you add fresh chives to small amounts of the dressing right before you use it, the dressing base will last longer.
Recipe developed by Kelly Hancock ©2010 Faithful Provisions. For personal use only. May not be reproduced, reprinted or distributed for capital gain without prior permission from Kelly Hancock.