Last week we had an abundance of fruit flies. And I mean a lot!! After finding some sweet potatoes gone bad in my pantry (gag!), I almost lost my lunch. It was disgusting and completely grossed me out. Plus, we always have bananas, figs, tomatoes and more laying out from the garden harvest each day. If I don’t keep up with the produce it gets out of hand, and last week it did.
I had tried all the tricks every told me about, including laying out a bowl with apple cider vinegar. But, I think they just got smart, they would sit on the rim but never go in!
Then I was talking to my friend Natasha (affectionately known as T-Sizzle) on the phone and she told me about a little trick that would get rid of them…and it did. Whew I was so glad, no more pesky fruit flies in my kitchen.
It is so simple, it’s ridiculous. Here is all you do.
DIY Fruit Fly Trap
- Take a jar, like a mason jar.
- Pour a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in.
- Add a few banana slices.
- Take a piece of paper and make a funnel with a tiny opening. About 1/2 an inch in diameter. (see image below)
- Sit the paper funnel in the jar and watch those babies get trapped.
- Note: If you see openings on the sides of the jar, you might want to tape the funnel to the mouth of the jar.
They go in for the fruit and then get trapped. It’s genius. A few times a day I would carefully take the jar and funnel outside and release any flying around in the jar. Within 2 days they were ALL GONE.