Mexican Egg Rolls are a twist on the classic egg roll recipe. We love Mexican recipes around here, and you are well are of that if you have been a reader for very long! I have always loved spicy foods. Frequently we have leftover chicken, and I try to “cook once, eat twice,” so this was a great way to combine some of our favorite tastes and develop a new dish by morphing the leftovers into an egg roll.
Mexican Egg Rolls Recipe
One thing I love about this Mexican Egg Rolls recipe is that I’m getting the tastes I so enjoy but with a lighter texture than the traditional tortilla. Using an egg roll wrapper rather than a corn or flour tortilla almost made me want to call this creation an “Asian Taquito”–I just couldn’t decide!
When you are filling your egg roll, I highly recommend that you have a little fun mixing up the ingredients a little. Don’t think you have to have exactly what I have listed, just use that as a jumping off point and use your personal favorite ingredients. Typically, I just use whatever I have on hand, and combine it with the chicken mixture. Some wonderful add-in ideas could be:
- Mexican rice
- Green chiles
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- Black or refried beans
For dipping, I go with my favorites or again, whatever I have on hand in the refrigerator or pantry. But sour cream, salsa, or guacamole are my favorite choices!
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- 2 cups chopped leftover chicken
- 1/2 cup salsa (or green chiles)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (pepper jack, cheddar or monterey)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients (except for egg roll wrappers) together into a small bowl.
- Lay out egg roll wrappers on a flat surface, and place about 1-2 tablespoons of filling in the lower third of the wrapper.
- Fold up the bottom corner, tuck in the sides and tightly roll up.
- As you get to the end, dip your finger in water and lightly wet the end of the wrapper to create a glue so it will stick when you finish rolling.
- Place egg rolls on a baking sheet (line with a silpat, spray with oil, or cover in foil), and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, cool, and serve with favorite dipping sauce.
:: Get more tips for learning how to make egg rolls HERE.