I just love this recipe. My mom made it all the time when I was growing up. Her original recipe of made-from-scratch sauce is below. I take a little help from jarred spaghetti sauce, and it tastes almost the same.
*Scroll down to use print recipe feature and add to your Recipe Box.
While I have instructions for making it in both the crock pot and on the stove top in the recipe below, I like making this in my slow cooker. Not only are the flavors richer when it cooks for a while, but this is a great way to make a lot of it. I’ll serve it over spaghetti the first night, then use it in a Roasted Vegetable Lasagna or Baked Ziti, and I will freeze the rest for later use.
TIP: When I buy ground beef, I cook it all at once, usually right after I get home. I store it in 2-cup servings, and freeze in zippered freezer bags. (Don’t forget to label them.) The only time I find I need uncooked ground beef is for burgers or meatballs, so the first day I get the beef I do one of those meals.
My changes to this recipe:
I love homemade, but since I can get jarred or canned spaghetti sauce so cheap, I make a few changes to my mom’s original recipe (shown in its entirety below).
- Substitute 2 jars jarred or canned spaghetti sauce for tomato sauce and paste.
- Omit water, vermouth/wine, and sugar.
- 1 lb cooked ground beef (or ½ lb ground beef and ½ lb Italian sausage)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small container sliced mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 16 ounce tomato sauce
- 12 ounce tomato paste
- 1-cup water
- 1½ cups white wine or dry vermouth (optional)
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 32 oz diced tomatoes with juice
- 1½ teaspoon basil
- 1½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ tsp. thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Brown ground beef, then add with all other ingredients and cook for 8-10 hours on low.
- Cook beef, garlic, onions, peppers, and mushrooms in large stockpot.
- Drain fat.
- Add all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.
- Reduce and simmer 1 hour or more.
Recipe developed by Kelly Hancock ©2010 Faithful Provisions. For personal use only. May not be reproduced, reprinted or distributed for capital gain without prior permission from Kelly Hancock.