With our CSA winding down I only have a little of the vegetables left to cook with, but I had the perfect ones to make some wonderful Roasted Winter Vegetables. I just used the ones that I had on hand, but you can choose your favorite. I would have liked to use red onions over turnips; afterwards, I wished I had made a quick trip to the store 🙂 . I learned this week that turnips aren’t my favorite, so I will leave it up to you to add them or leave them out.
*Scroll down to use print recipe feature and add to your Recipe Box.
The smell of roasted vegetables throughout the house was amazing. Oh, and then there was the eating. They are so sweet once they have been roasted. I love how the edges that are on the pan crisp up and the other side is soft.
- sweet potatoes
- white potatoes
- butternut or acorn squash
- red or white onions
- turnips or parsnips
- garlic cloves (oh and use them for a dip later)
Roasted Winter Vegetables
1-2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered (1-2 inch cubes)
1 red onion, quartered and separated
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and rough diced (1-2 inch cubes)
3 medium carrots, peeled, chopped in 1-2 inch cubes
salt and pepper
Parmesan to garnish
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Take the vegetables and lay them out on 2 or 3 sheet pans. (I line mine with parchment paper to help with the mess.) Use whatever it takes so that your veggies are not on top of each other. They roast better when they are not crammed together on the pan; that will steam them instead. You want the caramelization on the bottom that comes from roasting.
Drizzle liberally with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss gently.
Put into the oven for 20-25 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
- 1-2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered (1-2 inch cubes)
- 1 red onion, quartered and separated
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and rough diced (1-2 inch cubes)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, chopped in 1-2 inch cubes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on 2-3 sheet pans.
- Drizzle liberally with olive oil.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Toss gently.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
Recipe developed by Kelly Hancock ©2010 Faithful Provisions. For personal use only. May not be reproduced, reprinted or distributed for capital gain without prior permission from Kelly Hancock.