If you have been couponing for a while, you have already noticed that particular items seem to be a better deal at certain times of the year. This is because retailers are competing for your dollars. They know what potential customers are looking for throughout the year, and in order to woo you into their place of business, they will offer you the best deals on your greatest needs. For example, what are you most interested in purchasing right now? Back to school items are still on your mind, and also, many people are already enjoying football and preparing for tailgating parties.
What is a Sales Cycle?
The rotation of featured sale prices is called a sales cycle, and it’s important to know about because it will save you money. Three to four times a year, nearly every grocery item will go on sale at its rock-bottom price. Saving the most money means that you will make your purchases when that item is at its lowest price, and you will buy enough of that item to last you until the next time it goes on sale at its lowest price. For example, when I find toothpaste on sale for $1, I usually have a coupon to pair with that sale, making it free. I will stock up on toothpaste so that I have enough to last my family until the next time it goes on sale (in about three months).
What is on sale in September?
There are certain items, however, that only go on sale in September. These sales won’t cycle around again until next September. It’s important to plan your budget so that your purchasing dollars are ready to stock up on these items—buying enough to last you over the next twelve months. Here are the items you’ll see smiling and winking at you this month:
At the Grocery
Back to School sales are diminishing, but you will still see sales on these food items for those back-to-school lunches:
- Pudding cups
- Capri suns
- Fruit snacks
- Cereal sales
- Peanut butter/jelly
- Spaghetti sauce
- Campbell’s soups
- Canned goods
Seasonal Food & Grocery
You’ll find big sales on tomato items, so stock up now on:
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Tomato soup
- Canned tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
September In-Season Produce–Click on the links to go straight to great recipes!
- Apples (Find all my apple recipes here.)
- Broccoli — Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry, Broccoli Cheese Casserole,
- Brussel Sprouts
- Cabbage — Grilled Cabbage, Cabbage Salad with Apples and Ginger Vinaigrette, Cabbage Soup, Bierocks
- Chinese Cabbage
- Cauliflower — Roasted Cauliflower
- Celery Root
- Cranberries — Cranberry Pumpkin Bread, Tangy Quinoa Salad Recipe with Cranberries
- Cucumbers — Carrot Cucumber Ponzu Salad, Cucumber Salad, Cucumber Sandwich Spread and Dip
- Fennel Grapes
- Greens — How to Cook Turnip Greens
- Head or Iceberg Lettuce — Lettuce Cups, BLT Salad with Homemade Buttermilk Dressing
- Leaf Lettuce
- Nuts — Quinoa Salad with Dried Fruit and Nuts
- Okra — Fried Okra
*Print out my full listing on my Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables Chart. (Post it as a reference on your refrigerator.)
National Sales Events
September is a month with lots of National Events going on. Be sure you keep your eyes open for sales that are promoting:
- Baby Safety Month – Look for sales mid month on major baby equipment, baby safety, general new baby “stuff.”
- National Coupon Month – Expect to see some GREAT coupons this month, and get ready to purchase more papers!
- National Dog Week (9/21 – 9/27) – I’m already seeing lots of great sales and coupons for dog food.
- National Honey, Potato, and Rice Month
- National Organic Harvest Month
- National Sewing Month
- Better Breakfast Month
- National Chicken Month
- Back to School Supplies and Apparel: Think sandals, flip-flops, swimsuits, shorts, and all summer fashions.
- BBQ, Summer Holiday, and Picnic Supplies: Wait until after Labor Day, then you’ll find clearance deals on these items, up to 75% off.
- Gardening Supplies
- Bedding and bath items: Complete bedding sets and towels continue to be discounted this month. Just as department stores want to make room for fall/winter fashions, they also want to make room for new fall/winter home fashions, so now is the time to check out the deals on discontinued bedding, sheets, and towels.
- Car accessories: As parents send kids off to college, they are looking for car accessories that assure them of their child’s safety driving to and from campus. Retailers acknowledge this with great deals during the first part of the month on interior items like floor mats and seat cushions as well as the real necessities of brake pads and shocks. If you can DIY, be sure to check online sites for theses items.
Knowing that I’m going to get the rock-bottom price on a big ticket item like a beautiful new patio set or a gas grill can really stoke my patience as I “make do” until I know my dollars have the most purchasing power. Make the sales cycles work for you, and you’ll save big!
Do you have any tips or sales you look forward to in September? Share them in the comments below.
photo credit: Getty Images