What to Buy When: April
April showers bring May flowers, right? And April also brings great savings–as long as you know what to buy when. Remember, it pays to know your sales cycles.
What is a Sales Cycle?
The rotation of featured sale prices is called a sales cycle, and it’s important to know about because it will save you money. Three to four times a year, nearly every grocery item will go on sale at its rock-bottom price. Saving the most money means that you will make your purchases when that item is at its lowest price, and you will buy enough of that item to last you until the next time it goes on sale at its lowest price. For example, when I find toothpaste on sale for $1, I usually have a coupon to pair with that sale, making it free. I will stock up on toothpaste so that I have enough to last my family until the next time it goes on sale (in about three months).
What is on sale in April?
There are certain items, however, that only go on sale in April. This year, Easter falls in April. The deals on Easter candy and dressy spring clothing won’t cycle around again until next April. It’s important to know how to budget so that your purchasing dollars are ready to stock up on these items—buying enough to last you over the next twelve months.
At the Grocery
During April, you’ll find sales on:
Easter Seal theme – Find coupons and other promotions
Earth Day — In celebration of Earth Day, you will find lots of good deals on organic foods this month. Be sure to read my post, 8 Tips for Eating Organic on a Budget HERE.
Jewish/Passover items: Kosher foods
April In-Season Produce –Click on the links to go straight to great recipes!
- Avocado — See all my Avocado recipes HERE.
- Basil — Tomato Basil Soup, Basil Pesto, Tomato and Basil Bruschetta, Basil and Lemon Spaghetti
- Beans — Northern Beans and Corn Cakes
- Berries — Now’s the time to make healthy, great-tasting smoothies!
- Broccoli — Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Cabbage — Cabbage Soup, Bierocks (Cabbage and Beef Pockets)
- Chinese Cabbage
- Cucumbers – Cucumber Sandwich, Carrot and Cucumber Ponzu Salad
- Head or Iceberg Lettuce
- Mangoes — Mango Avocado Salad with Cumin Dressing
- Sweet Oranges — Any Fruit Smoothie
- Chile Peppers
- Sweet Peppers
- Summer Squash — Summer Squash Pasta
- Turnips/Turnip Greens — Learn How to Cook Turnip Greens HERE
*Print out my full listing on my Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables Chart. (Post it as a reference on your refrigerator.)
National Sales Events
April is a month with several National Events going on.* Keep your eyes open for sales that are promoting:
- April Fool’s Day – Sunday, April 1st
- Easter – Sunday, April 8th
- Income Tax Day – Since the 15th falls on a weekend, this year Income taxes are due on Tuesday, April 17th.
- Earth Day – Sunday, April 22nd
- Arbor Day – Friday, April 27th
Easter decor and candy will be on sale the week after Easter. Don’t miss this opportunity to get Easter decorations, table linens, and baskets.
- Digital cameras
- Lawn mowers
- Spring clothing (Lower selection but higher discounts will come next month.)
- Home Improvement
- Jewelry – If you’re planning on giving gifts of jewelry for Mother’s Day next month, the time to buy is now. Jewelry, while promoted and “on sale” around Mother’s Day, will not be discounted like it is this month. (SOURCE: Deal News)
Have you always wanted to take a cruise? April is your month! According to DealNews.com, April is the best month to book a cruise.
BUT DON’T BUY:
- Indoor furniture
- Outdoor furniture
- Gas grills
You might also like:
- Easy Tips for Planning Your Easter Menu
- Easter Ideas
- Easter Basket Ideas
- How to Budget | Free Printable Budget Worksheet
- 5 Tips for Using Coupons
- Seasonal Fruits and Veggies Chart
- How to Be Healthy
Find out What to Buy When Every Month of the Year on Faithful Provisions.
Do you have any tips or sales you look forward to in April? Please share them in the comments below. If you liked this post, please share it on Facebook!