What to Buy When: February
February might be the shortest month of the year, but it’s long on national events, it’s rich in history, and it tastes like chocolate! There are lots of ways to save this month, you just have to know what to buy when. Remember, it pays to know your sales cycles.
What is a Sales Cycle?
The rotation of featured sale prices is called a sales cycle, and it’s important to know about because it will save you money. Three to four times a year, nearly every grocery item will go on sale at its rock-bottom price. Saving the most money means that you will make your purchases when that item is at its lowest price, and you will buy enough of that item to last you until the next time it goes on sale at its lowest price. For example, when I find toothpaste on sale for $1, I usually have a coupon to pair with that sale, making it free. I will stock up on toothpaste so that I have enough to last my family until the next time it goes on sale (in about three months).
What is on sale in February?
There are certain items, however, that only go on sale in February. These sales won’t cycle around again until next February. It’s important to know how to budget so that your purchasing dollars are ready to stock up on these items—buying enough to last you over the next twelve months. Here are the items to celebrate in this month of hot breakfasts, healthy hearts, and hip presidents.
At the Grocery
February is National Hot Breakfast month. You’ll find sales on:
- Kellogg’s, General Mills, Post, and Quaker products
- Hot cereals like Cream of Wheat
- Eggo’s and other frozen waffles and pancakes
- Frozen breakfast sandwiches
- Refrigerated biscuits and cinnamon rolls
- Waffle/Pancake/Muffin mixes
February is the month when we emphasize heart health. (Find more information at the American Heart Association website.) Look for sales on:
- Heart-healthy spreads and butter substitutes
- Other supplements
Valentine’s Day will provide us with tons of sales on chocolate. For the best prices, do your shopping on February 15th!
- Russell Stover
- Plus, buy Valentines for next year!
February is also National Canned Food month. Stock up on canned goods at some of the best prices you’ll find all year long.
- Canned Fruits
- Canned Vegetables
- Pie Fillings
- Canned meats — Tuna, Chicken, Salmon
You’ll find all types of Chinese food on sale because it’s the Chinese New Year.
- Stir fry
- Raman noodles
- Canned water chestnuts
- Teriyaki and Soy Sauces
February In-Season Produce
- Avocado — Learn How to Prepare an Avocado HERE.
- Brussels Sprouts
- Cabbage (Not a cabbage fan? You might like my Bierocks (Cabbage and Beef Pockets), my Cabbage Salad with Apples and Ginger Vinaigrette, or my Cabbage Soup.
- Chinese Cabbage
- Celery Root
- Wild Mushrooms
- Mandarin Oranges
- Sweet Oranges
- Sweet Potatoes
*Print out my full listing on my Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables Chart. (Post it as a reference on your refrigerator.)
At the Pharmacy/Drugstore
Don’t forget to stock up now on these great February buys:
- KY Jelly
- Heart supplements
- Dental floss
- Fragrances/Bath and Body Gift sets
National Sales Events
February is a month with several National Events going on. Keep your eyes open for sales that are promoting:
- Chinese/Lunar New Year
- Ash Wednesday
- Mardi Gras / Fat Tuesday
- Black History Month
- American Heart Month
- National Dental Month
- Chocolate Lover’s Month
- National Hot Breakfast Month
- National Canned Food Month
- Presidents’ Day Sales — Some call Presidents’ Day the “Black Friday of February.” Don’t miss the chance to get rock-bottom prices on all winter clearance items.
According to Deal News, look for the best prices on these retail items in February:
Electronics. This year, heading toward Superbowl Sunday on February 5th, you’ll find super deals on HDTVs.
Indoor Fitness equipment. Find these on clearance now. Stores will soon be stocking their outdoor fitness equipment for spring and summer activities.
Bicycles. You can find a sweet deal on last year’s models now, before the new models come out later this month.
BUT DON’T BUY:
The iPad 2. Rumor has it that an iPad 3 will come out at the end of February, so there will be much better deals on the iPad 2 then.
Grills/Patio Equipment. You’ll want to wait until Memorial Day for these items.
You might also like:
- How to Budget | Free Printable Budget Worksheet
- 5 Tips for Using Coupons
- Seasonal Fruits and Veggies Chart
- 2012 Goals | Personal, Family, Financial, and Business
- Smart Ways to Set Your Goals and Reach Them
Find out What to Buy When on Faithful Provisions.
Do you have any tips or sales you look forward to in February? Please share them in the comments below. If you liked this post, please share it on Facebook!