What to Buy When: May
May is the official launch of grilling season and several months of wonderful outdoor living. You’ll find there are lots of ways to save this month, you just have to know what to buy when. Remember, it pays to know your sales cycles.
What is a Sales Cycle?
The rotation of featured sale prices is called a sales cycle, and it’s important to know about because it will save you money. Three to four times a year, nearly every grocery item will go on sale at its rock-bottom price. Saving the most money means that you will make your purchases when that item is at its lowest price, and you will buy enough of that item to last you until the next time it goes on sale at its lowest price. For example, when I find toothpaste on sale for $1, I usually have a coupon to pair with that sale, making it free. I will stock up on toothpaste so that I have enough to last my family until the next time it goes on sale (in about three months).
What is on sale in May?
There are certain items, however, that only go on sale in May. These sales won’t cycle around again until next May. It’s important to know how to budget so that your purchasing dollars are ready to stock up on these items—buying enough to last you over the next twelve months.
At the Grocery
Since May is the official launch of grilling season, you’ll find sales on marinades, great grilling cuts of meat, and hot dogs. With the celebration of Cinco de Mayo, you’ll want to take advantage of sales on Mexican foods (my favorite!) too. (See my favorite Cinco de Mayo recipes HERE.) Find deals on:
- Steak sauce
- Barbecue sauce
- Condiments: Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo
- Salad dressing
- Grilling cuts of meat: Ribs, Steaks, Chicken breasts
- Hamburger / Buns
- Hot Dogs / Buns
- Taco shells
- Taco seasonings
- Picnic supplies: paper/plastic plates and cups, napkins, tablecloths, plastic utensils
*Also, watch for sales on dog and cat food/treats during National Pet Week, May 6 – 12.
IN THE PHARMACY/DRUGSTORE
- Insect repellent
MAY IN-SEASON PRODUCE – Click on the links to go straight to great recipes!
- Asparagus – It’s National Asparagus Month.
- Avocado — See all my Avocado recipes HERE.
- Basil — Tomato Basil Soup, Basil Pesto, Tomato and Basil Bruschetta, Basil and Lemon Spaghetti
- Beans — Northern Beans and Corn Cakes
- Berries — Now’s the time to make healthy, great-tasting smoothies!
- Broccoli — Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Cabbage — Cabbage Soup, Bierocks (Cabbage and Beef Pockets)
- Chinese Cabbage
- Cucumbers – Cucumber Sandwich, Carrot and Cucumber Ponzu Salad
- Head or Iceberg Lettuce – See all my Salad Recipes HERE.
- Mangoes — Mango Avocado Salad with Cumin Dressing
- Sweet Oranges — Any Fruit Smoothie
- Chile Peppers
- Sweet Peppers
- Summer Squash — Summer Squash Pasta
- Turnips/Turnip Greens — Learn How to Cook Turnip Greens HERE
*Print out my full listing on my Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables Chart. (Post it as a reference on your refrigerator.)
National Sales Events
May is a month with several National Events going on.* Keep your eyes open for sales that are promoting:
- May Day – May 1
- Cinco de Mayo – May 5
- National Teacher’s Day – May 6
- National Pet Week – May 6 – 12
- VE Day, WW II – May 8
- Mother’s Day – May 13
- Armed Forces Day – May 19
- Memorial Day – May 28
- Date Your Mate Month
- National Strawberry Month (Check out my strawberry recipes HERE.)
- National Barbecue Month
- Older Americans Month
- National Asparagus Month
According to Deal News, you will find some of the deepest discounts and sales since January when you shop Memorial Day weekend.
Spring Clothing – You won’t find the selection that was available last month, but you will find much deeper discounts, up to 75% off.
Gym memberships – Since most people head outdoors for exercise during this time of year, you may be able to negotiate a sweet deal at your local gym.
SOURCE: Deal News
- Home Goods – Including cookware, often a perfect gift for May graduates.
- Mattresses and box springs – This is a good time to buy, but if you can put it off until November, you will see the best buys on mattresses during Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend.
- Camping and outdoor gear
- Paper/party supplies – These rock-bottom prices mean you can stock up now for summer barbecues, but think ahead for birthdays and other parties all year round.
- Appliances – Shop Memorial Day weekend for great buys on appliances at major retailers.
BUT DON’T BUY:
Grills/Patio Equipment. While you’ll see great sales around Memorial Day, you’ll be able to save even more if you hold off on your purchase until June.
Office furniture. Like grills and patio equipment, if you can wait until June, you will get the rock-bottom prices on these items.
Jewelry for Mom. Better deals for jewelry were available last month.
You might also like:
- Best Mother’s Day Gifts
- Top Ten Cheap Mother’s Day Gifts
- Cheap Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
- Discount Mother’s Day Flowers
- How to Budget | Free Printable Budget Worksheet
- 5 Tips for Using Coupons
- Seasonal Fruits and Veggies Chart
Find out What to Buy When on Faithful Provisions.
Do you have any tips or sales you look forward to in May? Please share them in the comments below. If you liked this post, please share it on Facebook!