My friend Meredith sent this recipe to me a few weeks ago, and I have been DYING to try it. I added it on this week’s meal plan, and I am now trying to think of the best ways to morph this. I made a 6 lb roast, and have at least 3/4 of it left! So, one reader sent me creamy taquitos, and I am doing some pork dumplings with an asian slaw next week. I will not make these until Monday or Tuesday. The pork will be fine in the fridge for a few days, and if there is any left I will just freeze it.
*Scroll down to use print recipe feature and add to your Recipe Box.
I served these with corn tortillas (my favorite!), and pinto beans (can pinto beans, 1 T salsa, dash of cumin, chile powder, coriander), fresh salsa, and limes. I also made a green salad with tomatoes and used my favorite Taco Salad dressing.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/16 teaspoon ground cinnamon (i.e. just a pinch)
- 1 (4 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast or Boston butt, etc.
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth (I used less than 1 cup.)
- Mix together spices in a bowl.
- Coat pork with the spice mixture. (Can leave in fridge overnight or put in cooker immediately). Place the bay leaves in the bottom of a slow cooker and place the pork on top.
- Pour the chicken broth around the sides of the pork, being careful not to rinse off the spice mixture. (If you have a larger cut of meat – 8 pounds for example – you can double the spice mixture – but you still only need 1 can of chicken broth for the liquid).
- Cover and cook on low until the pork shreds easily with a fork, about 9 hours.
- Turn the meat after it has cooked for 5 hours.
- When the pork is tender, remove from slow cooker, and shred with two forks.
- Serve with corn tortillas, pinto beans, fresh salsa and limes.
Any great ideas for me to morph the leftover shredded pork with? I would love to see your ideas in the comments.
Recipe developed by Kelly Hancock ©2010 Faithful Provisions. For personal use only. May not be reproduced, reprinted or distributed for capital gain without prior permission from Kelly Hancock.