My daughter loves mac and cheese and ground beef, so I created my own healthier version of a Hamburger Helper meal without all the chemicals and preservatives. She LOVES this one. Cheesy Mac and Beef, which would be a copycat version of Hamburger Helper’s Cheeseburger Macaroni, is definitely a high-calorie comfort food, but one I don’t mind serving as a special treat!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can evaporated milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder (or yellow mustard)
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- In a large skillet (I used my cast iron) medium heat, brown ground beef, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in broth, water, all spices and macaroni (everything but cheese); bring to a low boil. Cook and stir constantly so it doesn't stick, for about 8-10 minutes or until liquid is mostly absorbed and pasta is soft and tender.
- Stir in evaporated milk and lower heat. Stir in both cheeses until smooth and melted. Serve. (Makes approximately 6 servings.)
You might also like: