This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ShareTheHoliday #CollectiveBias
If you are looking for an easy, healthy treat, these guilt-free Coconut Date Balls are perfect for that late afternoon craving, a party snack or even a holiday dessert. They are gluten, dairy and sugar free but contain some of the most power-packed superfood ingredients for good health; coconut oil, nuts and dates.
A little about these superfoods…
Coconut oil is considered a “superfood” due to its unique fatty-acid content which is known to have a profound effect on good health. Some of the many benefits of coconut oil include, increased energy & metabolism, prevention of infections, weight-loss, reduced risk of heart disease and even used as a moisturizer.
These bite-size nutritional powerhouses are packed with heart-healthy fats, protein, vitamins, and minerals. But some have more nutritional value than others, so to get the biggest impact, I would recommend walnuts, plus they are my favorite for flavor, but pecans, cashews, almonds or even macadamia nuts would work here.
This recipe calls for dates as the sweetener of choice, which give you a plethora of health benefits, due to their high-fiber content. Dates contain many vitamins and minerals like oil, calcium, sulfur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium which are all beneficial for health — which help with everything from constipation, intestinal disorders, and even heart problems. Health specialists even say that eating one per day is necessary for a balanced and healthy diet.
Other Add-In Ideas
If you feel like you want to add even more superfood nutrition to this little gem, a few recommendations I might make are chia seeds, hemp seeds or even even some ground flax seed. Add 1-2 tablespoons for added health benefits and even a great texture.
Once you process all the ingredients, here is what the batter should look like before you roll it into balls. It should easily mold together and feel a bit greasy. You will need to refrigerate to firm up, they will be a little mushy.
- In a food processor, add all ingredients and process until well blended. *Note you may have to stir up a bit to get all ingredients equally processed.
- Using a small cookie scooper, roll balls in your hand and arrange on a wax paper/parchment paper lined cookie sheet, or place directly in a storage container.
- *Optional: Roll in shredded coconut if you are taking these to a party or event.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer until gone! The freezer will give these a much firmer consistency when you bite into the ball, which I prefer.
Decorate On-the-Go Containers Tutorial
Coconut Date Balls are prepared into individual bite sizes, which make them the perfect addition to any party and ideal for travel to and from events or parties. Here is a fun and easy step-by-step tutorial to get the kids involved by decorating Rubbermaid TakeAlongs containers.
I found my Rubbermaid TakeAlongs containers at our local Walmart on the food sealers aisle.
– Rubbermaid TakeAlongs containers of your choice (rectangle and serving bowls used here)
– Permanent markers in many colors (gold and silver are wonderful for holiday times)
– Decorative Tapes, Stickers and ribbons
1. Sit the kids down at a table filled with creative tools, use anything from markers to tape, stickers and more. Whatever you have on hand to make it fun!
2. Encourage them to use their imaginations, but some may need a little prompting. Some ideas could include:
– draw your favorite holiday scene
– make designs like stripes, dots or chevron
– leave encouraging messages for the recipient
3. Fill with your favorite holiday treats and either take to your next gathering or drop off to a friend, or civil servant like police or fireman.
Here are a few of the designs my kids came up with using tape and markers, but you can make this your own. It kept them occupied for about an hour which is a W.I.N. in my book.
While working on our holiday treats, I found that the Rubbermaid TakeAlong containers have a secondary, but very important purpose… they entertain children in the floor… quietly!
Rubbermaid TakeAlongs Rebate Offer