Besides the fact that a salad in a jar looks awfully pretty, these are great to take on a picnic, to take to work—to take anywhere! Recently, I made these to take over to my sister’s house.
*Scroll down to use print recipe feature and add to your Recipe Box.
We are trying to get away from plastics so I love that I’m using Mason jars: salad containers that wash easily and are completely reuseable. Making a salad in a jar is fun and easy. I make these according to whatever I have on hand. I like to do different themes and flavors, using different combinations like Italian, Greek, Cobb, or Mexican. There are so many different options.
There is a preferred method of stacking your salad in a jar. Here is the order of ingredients in a Salad in a Jar:
- Dressings – must be on the bottom
- 1st layer: Meat, beans, nuts, and your heavier protein items go on the bottom. (Use about ¼ cup.)
- 2nd layer: Veggies or fresh fruit
- 3rd layer: Cheese
- 4th layer: Greens
How long will salad in a jar’s keep? As long as your greens and ingredients are fresh and dry, they should be good for about 4 days. It really depends on the ingredients. For instance, avocados will not be good unpeeled after that long, I would use those the first day.
Below are Salad in a Jar recipe combinations that are some of my favorites
Greek Salad in a Jar
A Greek Salad in a Jar features the wonderful Greek flavors that I love. Layer in this order, beginning with the dressing.
- Dressing: Greek Vinaigrette
- Chicken (diced or shredded) ¼ cup, garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- Kalamata olives
- Red onion
- Feta cheese
- Romaine lettuce
Cobb Salad in a Jar
A fresh Cobb Salad in a Jar is probably one of my absolute favorites, especially when you can fill it with summer vegetables. Layer in this order, beginning with the dressing.
- Dressing: Homemade Ranch Buttermilk Dressing
- Diced hard boiled eggs
- Cheddar cheese
- Iceberg or romaine lettuce
Mexican Salad in a Jar
This Mexican Salad in a Jar features some of my favorite spicy flavors. Layer in this order, beginning with the dressing.
- Dressing: Taco Salad Dressing
- Taco Meat or shredded chicken
- Spicy black beans
- Iceberg or romaine lettuce
Grilled Chicken Salad in a Jar
Grilled Chicken Salad in a jar goes great with some fresh berries, using spinach and feta or goat cheese. Layer in this order, beginning with the dressing.
- Dressing: Sweet Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Grilled chicken, sliced
- Strawberries and/or blueberries
- Nuts, sliced (choose almonds, walnuts, or pecans)
- Feta or goat cheese
Grilled Veggie Salad in a Jar
This Grilled Veggie Salad in a Jar is perfect to make with leftover veggies from the grill. The grilled flavor is wonderful!
Dressing: Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Grilled peppers
- Grilled green onions
- Grilled zucchini
- Quinoa or rice
- Goat cheese
- Mason jar
- Your favorite salad dressing
- Meat and/or beans and/or nuts
- Vegetables and/or fruit
- Layer the ingredients in the order listed above.
- Be sure to put your salad dressing as the very first layer--this keeps your salad from becoming soggy.
- Screw the lid on tightly and store in the refrigerator.
- When you're ready to eat, empty contents into a plate or bowl.
Recipe developed by Kelly Hancock ©2013 Faithful Provisions. For personal use only. May not be reproduced, reprinted or distributed for capital gain without prior permission from Kelly Hancock.