If you have been following me here long, you know that I am on a journey to healthier food choices. So, when I saw the trend towards “raw food” especially in regards to sweet treats, well, I had to try some out for myself! I was a bit hesitant if my children would go for this, after all, there is no sugar, no flour, no butter, and no baking. My daughter practically inhaled these.
Guess what? They only have 5 ingredients (minus the salt). Plus they are a breeze to make. Quick, no mess, and they taste amazing.
Now the best part about these is that you can really add according to your personal tastes. I kept these super simple, but next time I am going branch out and add one of the following:
- nuts: walnuts, cashews, pecans
- dried fruit: dried cranberries, cherries, blueberries or raisins
- honey, maple syrup
- nut butter: peanut, almond
- mini chocolate chips
Here is the simple, basic base for this recipe. If you add more dry ingredients, you need to add a binding agent like honey, maple syrup or more coconut oil.
- 2 cups oats
- 1 1/2 cups dates (pitted)
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Add all ingredients into a food processor and blend until it forms a crumbly mixture, like dough.
- Using a small scooper, for equal portions, roll into balls.
- Place into the refrigerator for 1 hour.