I have to admit, I am not a big eggplant fan, so when we got one in our CSA, I wasn’t really sure what to do with it. I got a few ideas from my readers on my Facebook Fan page and kinda winged the recipe below. It ended up being pretty good!
This was also a great meal to have a little helper on. My daughter had a great time assembling the eggplant rounds with sauce and cheese for me!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced ¼ inch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano and basil
- 2-3 tablespoons oil (olive, grapeseed or coconut)
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- pasta – linguine, angel hair or spaghetti
- Heat oil in large pan on medium heat. Put the egg and bread crumbs in two separate dishes to dredge eggplant.
- Turn eggplant slices first in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place into hot pan with oil and brown on both sides.
- Place cooked eggplant pieces into a 9×13 pan. Top each piece with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Cook in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve alongside pasta tossed with remaining spaghetti sauce.
View instructions picture by picture…
Recipe developed by Kelly Hancock ©2010 Faithful Provisions. For personal use only. May not be reproduced, reprinted or distributed for capital gain without prior permission from Kelly Hancock.