One of my favorite sandwiches is a BLT, so this recipe for a BLT Salad is one of my favorites–especially using fresh, homegrown tomatoes. This salad takes the traditional idea of a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich and adds a unique twist: The flavors of avocado and green onions, making it taste AMAZING! Parmesan cheese would be great on this too.
TIP: To lighten this up a bit, we used turkey bacon and 2% milk in the dressing.
- 1 head lettuce, Green Leaf or Romaine
- Homemade Croutons
- ½ pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, seeded and diced (See my Avocado Tutorial)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, chopped (dried chives 1 teaspoon)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Combine salad ingredients, except croutons, and toss gently.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top salad with dressing, add croutons at the very end.
TIP:No buttermilk? Add 2 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar to 2/3 cup milk. Let sit 15 minutes.
Recipe developed by Kelly Hancock ©2010 Faithful Provisions. For personal use only. May not be reproduced, reprinted or distributed for capital gain without prior permission from Kelly Hancock.