My mom made this a lot growing up and it is a great way to use all those summer veggies, plus it is cool and refreshing on a hot day. I would love seeing a bowl of it marinating in the fridge on a hot summer afternoon. I love all the fresh flavors of summer veggies, and the apple cider vinegar gives it an added zing.
COOK’S TIP: You can easily morph this into a creamy cucumber yogurt salad recipe when you spoon it on some plain yogurt and sprinkle it with fresh dill.
- 2 cucumbers, sliced
- 2 beefsteak-style tomatoes, quartered (or Roma tomatoes, sliced)
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar (I used turbinado)
- 1 cup water
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine sugar (or turbinado) and water in small sauce pan and dissolve sugar.
- Add vinegar and let cool.
- Add all ingredients in a glass or plastic bowl to marinate.
- Serve after 2-3 hours.
Recipe developed by Kelly Hancock ©2010 Faithful Provisions. For personal use only. May not be reproduced, reprinted or distributed for capital gain without prior permission from Kelly Hancock.