What to Buy When: June
June is known for those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer. Resting just between the Memorial Day and July Fourth holidays, June provides us with somewhat of a break–time to relax. There are still plenty of deals out there this month, you just have to know what to buy when. Remember, it pays to know your sales cycles.
What is a Sales Cycle?
The rotation of featured sale prices is called a sales cycle, and it’s important to know about because it will save you money. Three to four times a year, nearly every grocery item will go on sale at its rock-bottom price. Saving the most money means that you will make your purchases when that item is at its lowest price, and you will buy enough of that item to last you until the next time it goes on sale at its lowest price. For example, when I find toothpaste on sale for $1, I usually have a coupon to pair with that sale, making it free. I will stock up on toothpaste so that I have enough to last my family until the next time it goes on sale (in about three months).
What is on sale in June?
June is much like its May and July bookends. You’ll find summer sales on picnic items at the grocery and great deals on grills. It’s important to know how to budget so that your purchasing dollars are ready to stock up on these items—buying enough to last you over the next twelve months.
At the Grocery
At the grocery store be sure you take advantage of sales on grilling meats for burgers, steaks, chicken, and fish. For National Dairy Month, be sure to watch for sales on dairy products
- Ice cream
- Sour cream
- Cottage cheese
Picnic items continue to be on sale, with the best prices about two weeks before the July 4th holiday.
- Paper/plastic picnic products — cups, plates, utensils, tablecloths, paper towels, paper napkins
- Salad dressings, marinades, and condiments — ketchup, mustard, mayo, BBQ sauce
- Hamburger/hot dog buns
In the pharmacy area:
- Self-tanner/bronzing lotion
- Razors/Waxes/Cream depilatories (hair removal cream)
- Insect repellent
- After-sun skincare
June In-Season Produce — Click on the links to go straight to great recipes!
- Basil – Basil Pesto Recipe (Lean how to harvest Basil), Basil and Lemon Spaghetti, Tomato Basil Soup
- Beans – Skillet Green Beans (How do you prepare fresh from the garden green beans? I’d love to know!)
- Berries – Recipes with Strawberries
- Cucumbers – Carrot and Cucumber Ponzu Salad, Recipe for Cucumber Salad, Cucumber Sandwich Spread and Dip, Fresh Strawberry Juice with Cucumber
- Mangoes – How to Cut a Mango (Video Tutorial), Easy Couscous Recipe with Mango, and Mango Avocado Salad with Cumin Dressing
- Chile Peppers
- Sweet Peppers
- Summer Squash – Summer Squash Pasta
- Tomatoes – Learn How to Freeze Tomatoes in Bulk, Summer Tomato Lentil Salad, Tomato Basil Quiche, Squash, Caramelized Onion and Tomato Pasta, Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes and Cream, Cheesy Tomato Stroganoff, Tomatillo Salsa,, Summer Orzo Salad, Tomato Basil Soup, Baked Penne, Tomato Covered Minute Steak
- Watermelon – Watermelon Arugula Salad
*Print out my full listing on my Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables Chart. (Post it as a reference on your refrigerator.)
National Sales Events
June is a month with several National Events going on.* Keep your eyes open for sales that are promoting:
- Aquarium Month
- Candy Month
- Dairy Month
- Fight the Filthy Fly Month
- National Accordion Awareness Month
- National Adopt a Cat Month
- National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month
- Rose Month
- Turkey Lovers Month
- Small consumer electronics
- Summer sports gear
- Indoor furniture
- Flip Flops when they go on sale at Old Navy, but for better summer footwear, wait for sales in mid-July.
- Cruises – With June the beginning of hurricane season, you’ll see great deals on cruises if you are willing to chance the possibility of less-than-ideal weather.
- Ladies lingerie and intimates
- Refurbished or used tablets
- LCD HDTV’s
BUT DON’T BUY:
- Tool purchases. While tools make great Father’s Day gifts, you might consider a gift card to his favorite hardware store and then encourage him to wait for July for the very best deals on tools. He will get more for the money then.
You might also like:
- How to Make Strawberry Jam
- How to Budget | Free Printable Budget Worksheet
- 5 Tips for Using Coupons
- Seasonal Fruits and Veggies Chart
Find out What to Buy When on Faithful Provisions.
Do you have any tips or sales you look forward to in June? Please share them in the comments below. If you liked this post, please share it on Facebook!